TOYOTA GAZOO Racing is a racing company positioning motorsports activities as the basis of our quest to create ever-better cars. From products developed through these activities to the establishment of the GR Garage, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing's motorsports activities have been promoted as a comprehensive method of increasing numbers of car fans.
At last month's North American International Auto Show in Detroit, we unveiled the new "Supra," which is set to become the first global model in the GR series line-up. The new Supra incorporates the knowledge and know-how that TOYOTA GAZOO Racing has accumulated thus far, and has been developed with the goal of enabling customers to fully experience the joy of driving. We have positioned the new Supra as our flagship model and, by feeding back knowledge gained through motorsports activities into the development of new products, we intend to further expand the GR series line-up.
In 2018, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing achieved the long-desired goal of winning the 24 Hours of Le Mans and also secured the WRC manufacturers' title, demonstrating that the challenges we have embarked on are leading to concrete results. However, we will not rest on our laurels. In order to deliver the anticipation and excitement of driving to a wider audience, we will engage in the motorsports activities listed below in 2019. TOYOTA GAZOO Racing will compete in the 2019-2020 WEC season. (The driver line-up will be announced at a later date.)With team line-ups, we will also compete in the Nürburgring 24 Hours Endurance Race and other races in Japan respectively. In addition, we will focus on "e-Motor Sports" in collaboration with Gran Turismo SPORT and other racing games. We are engaging in such various motorsports activities to e-Motor Sports.
- LEXUS LC500 in 2018 SUPER GT GT500 Class
- SF19 in Japanese Super Formula Championship in 2019
Going forward, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing will continue to work together with affiliates to create ever-better cars through motorsports activities. At the same time, through our products and sales outlet, we aim to satisfy the passion of car lovers, and bring the joy of cars to an even wider audience. We look forward to your continued support in the 2019 season.
Outline of Toyota's 2019 Motorsports Activities
- SUPER GT
- GT500 Class
- In 2019, LEXUS GAZOO Racing will continue to enter the Lexus "LC 500".
- LEXUS GAZOO Racing will support 6 teams and 6 vehicles supported by TRD.
|GT500||LEXUS TEAM LEMANS WAKO'S||WAKO'S 4CR LC500||6||Kazuya Oshima (Japan)||BS|
|Kenta Yamashita (Japan)|
|LEXUS TEAM WedsSport BANDOH||WedsSport ADVAN LC500||19||Yuji Kunimoto (Japan)||YH|
|Sho Tsuboi (Japan)|
|LEXUS TEAM au TOM'S||au TOM'S LC500||36||Kazuki Nakajima (Japan)||BS|
|Yuhi Sekiguchi (Japan)|
|LEXUS TEAM KeePer TOM'S||KeePer TOM'S LC500||37||Ryo Hirakawa (Japan)||BS|
|Nick Cassidy (New Zealand)|
|LEXUS TEAM ZENT CERUMO||ZENT CERUMO LC500||38||Yuji Tachikawa (Japan)||BS|
|Hiroaki Ishiura (Japan)|
|LEXUS TEAM SARD||DENSO KOBELCO SARD LC500||39||Heikki Kovalainen (Finland)||BS|
|Yuichi Nakayama (Japan)|
- GT300 Class
- In the GT300 class, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing will enter 2 Toyota "Prius" and LEXUS GAZOO Racing will enter 3 Lexus "RC F GT3" models.
|GT300||apr||TOYOTA GR SPORT
PRIUS PHV apr GT
|30||Hiroaki Nagai (Japan)||YH|
|Manabu Orido (Japan)|
|31||Koki Saga (Japan)||BS|
|Yuki Nakayama (Japan)|
|Panther arto Team Thailand||arto RC F GT3||35||TBD||YH|
|LM corsa||SYNTIUM LMcorsa
RC F GT3
|60||Hiroki Yoshimoto (Japan)||DL|
|Ritomo Miyata (Japan)|
|K-tunes Racing||K-tunes RC F GT3||96||Morio Nitta (Japan)||BS|
|Sena Sakaguchi (Japan)|
- Japanese Super Formula Championship
- TRD will supply the two-liter four-cylinder direct-injection gasoline turbo engine (Biz-01F) for 11 vehicles in 6 teams.
- All vehicles will be equipped with tires made by Yokohama Rubber.
|KONDO RACING||3||Kenta Yamashita (Japan)|
|4||Yuji Kunimoto (Japan)|
|TEAM LEMANS||7||Artem Markelov (Russia)|
|8||Kazuya Oshima (Japan)|
|carrozzeria Team KCMG||18||Kamui Kobayashi (Japan)|
|TEAM IMPUL||19||Yuhi Sekiguchi (Japan)|
|20||Ryo Hirakawa (Japan)|
|VANTELIN TEAM TOM'S||36||Kazuki Nakajima (Japan)|
|37||Nick Cassidy (New Zealand)|
|JMS P.MU/CERUMO・INGING||38||Hiroaki Ishiura (Japan)|
|39||Sho Tsuboi (Japan)|
- Nürburgring 24 Hours Endurance Race
- TOYOTA GAZOO Racing positions the Nürburgring 24 Hours endurance race as the starting point of activities aimed to make ever-better cars, and will participate for the 13th consecutive year in 2019. Through participation in the race, we seek activities aimed at developing our people and cars, and support the development of Toyota's production vehicles.
- The 47th Nürburgring 24 Hours endurance race (official name: 47. ADAC TOTAL 24h-Rennen) will take place on June 22-23, 2019.
- This year, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing will enter 2 cars: the Lexus LC will compete for the second year in a row, while the Supra―resurrected for the first time in 17 years―will make its debut. By fitting both models with a number of advanced development technologies that will be used in future sportscars and other production vehicles, we aim to support the creation of ever-better cars.
|Team||TOYOTA GAZOO Racing|
|Vehicle / Class||Lexus LC
(scheduled to compete in the SP-PRO class)
(scheduled to compete in the SP8T class)
|Driver||Takeshi Tsuchiya (Japan)||Masahiro Sasaki (Japan)|
|Naoya Gamo (Japan)||Uwe Kleen (Germany)|
|Takamitsu Matsui (Japan)||Herwig Daenens (Belgium)*1|
|Yuichi Nakayama (Japan)||Hisashi Yabuki (Japan)*2|
*1A member of Toyota Motor Europe
*2A member of Toyota Motor Corporation
- Customer Motorsports (GT3)
- Through global sales and its customer support of the Lexus RC F GT3, LEXUS GAZOO Racing will enable customers from around the world to enjoy GT3 races, and contribute to enhancing the image of the Lexus brand. LEXUS GAZOO Racing will also provide feedback of technologies developed through its race activities to its production vehicles, and enhance the products.
- In 2019, Lexus RC F GT3 racecars will compete in various races in the world.
|Region||Series||Class||Team||Number of Vehicles|
|U.S.||IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship||GTD||AIM VASSER SULLIVAN||2|
|Japan||SUPER GT||GT300||See "1) SUPER GT (2) GT300 Class"||3|
|Super Taikyu||ST-X||Max Racing||1|
- Toyota will continue to compete in the NASCAR series supported by Toyota Motor North America and T.R.D U.S.A., Inc.
- Toyota will compete with the Toyota "Camry" in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series, with the Toyota "Supra" in the NASCAR Xfinity Series, and with the Toyota "Tundra" in the NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series.
- All vehicles will be equiped with Goodyear tires.
Toyota Teams and Drivers for the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
|Joe Gibbs Racing||11||Denny Hamlin (U.S.)|
|18||Kyle Busch (U.S.)|
|19||Martin Truex Jr. (U.S.)|
|20||Erik Jones (U.S.)|
|Leavine Family Racing||95||Matt DiBenedetto (U.S.)|
- Driver Development Initiatives in Japan
- TOYOTA GAZOO Racing Rally Challenge Program
- Launched in 2015, the program seeks to nurture young rally drivers who can compete on a global stage.
- With the cooperation of Tommi Mäkinen, drivers in the program will take part primarily in WRC2, and continue their development through participation in actual rallies.
|Takamoto Katsuta (Japan)||Daniel Barritt (UK)|
- Toyota Young Drivers Program (TDP)
- This program supports young drivers to be able to compete in top racing categories around the world.
- The program is dedicated to identifying new talent, and provides a framework to hone the abilities of participants, depending on their particular strengths
- Sho Tsuboi will make the step up to both the Super GT GT500 class and Super Formula.
List of Toyota Young Drivers Program Participants for 2019
|Driver||Race Category||Team||Remarks / 2018 Results|
|Kenta Yamashita||SUPER GT (GT500)||LEXUS TEAM LEMANS WAKO'S||
|Japanese Super Formula Championship||KONDO RACING|
|Sho Tsuboi||SUPER GT (GT500)||LEXUS TEAM WedsSport BANDOH||
|Japanese Super Formula Championship||JMS P.MU/CERUMO・INGING|
|Ritomo Miyata||Japanese Formula 3 Championship||Corolla Chukyo KuoTEAM TOM'S||
|SUPER GT (GT300)||LM corsa|
|Kazuto Kotaka||Japanese Formula 3 Championship||Corolla Chukyo Kuo TEAM TOM'S||
2019 Race Categories for Toyota Young Drivers Program Graduates
|Kazuki Nakajima||FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC)||TOYOTA GAZOO Racing|
|SUPER GT (GT500)||LEXUS TEAM au TOM'S|
|Japanese Super Formula Championship||VANTELIN TEAM TOM'S|
|Kamui Kobayashi||FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC)||TOYOTA GAZOO Racing|
|Japanese Super Formula Championship||carrozzeria Team KCMG|
|Hiroaki Ishiura||SUPER GT (GT500)||LEXUS TEAM ZENT CERUMO|
|Japanese Super Formula Championship||JMS P.MU/CERUMO・INGING|
|Kazuya Oshima||SUPER GT (GT500)||LEXUS TEAM LEMANS WAKO'S|
|Japanese Super Formula Championship||TEAM LEMANS|
|Yuji Kunimoto||SUPER GT (GT500)||LEXUS TEAM WedsSport BANDOH|
|Japanese Super Formula Championship||KONDO RACING|
|Ryo Hirakawa||SUPER GT (GT500)||LEXUS TEAM KeePer TOM'S|
|Japanese Super Formula Championship||TEAM IMPUL|
|Yuichi Nakayama||SUPER GT (GT500)||LEXUS TEAM SARD|
|Nürburgring 24 Hours endurance race||TOYOTA GAZOO Racing|
- The school aims to discover and cultivate racing drivers to be able to compete in top racing categories both in Japan and around the world. It also seeks to widen the base of the motorsports pyramid in a healthy manner by educating people on correct driving skills.
- Support for race participation in future seasons will be provided to students deemed to have the greatest driving potential. (FTRS dates for 2019 are undecided.)
- TOYOTA GAZOO Racing will support young drivers competing in the FIA F4 Japanese Championship, which is the entry class formula category.
- Seven events and 14 races have been scheduled.
- 5 Continents Drive Project
- Toyota began its 5 Continents Drive Project in Australia in 2014, with the same aim for "ever-better cars" as motorsports activities of TOYOTA GAZOO Racing. Employees drive Toyota vehicles by diverse types of roads used by customers around the world, gaining experience and knowledge of road conditions that cannot be predicted or replicated on test courses. The understanding obtained in this exercise supports Toyota's goal of creating "ever-better cars," and cultivates expertise in employees. With the milestone year of 2020, when Tokyo hosts the Olympics and Paralympics approaching, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing continues to carry out 5 Continents activities.
- In 2018, Toyota employees participated alongside members from SUZUKI MOTOR CORPORATION, Hino Motors Ltd., and TOYOTA AUTO BODY Co., Ltd. in the Africa stage of the project; a total of 76 people covered 10,600 kilometers over a period of two months. The team drove across Africa's diverse and wide-ranging roads, where they experienced first-hand the harsh conditions in which vehicles were used and listened to direct feedback from African customers. As a result, team members were moved to consider what it meant to make "ever-better cars," exchanged views with their colleagues, and devoted themselves to thinking about cars.
- In 2019, Toyota will move to Asia and embark on the sixth and final leg of the project, starting in the Middle East.
Past Legs of the 5 Continents Drive
|Number of days
|72 days||Deserts, poorly maintained roads, and other rough terrain were navigated in a region that is said to encapsulate a variety of roads from around the world.|
|109 days||The North American leg was divided into a summer and winter season: Death Valley and other regions of intense heat were tackled in the summer, while Alaska and eastern Canada were driven in the winter.|
|84 days||Mud roads in the tropics, mountain passes at an altitude of 5,640 meters, deserts, and other roads were traveled.|
|85 days||In the birthplace of the automobile, Toyota cars were compared to their European counterparts as they strove to enhance the collection and analysis of driving data. Divided into summer and winter seasons, participating cars drove highways and embarked on long-distance journeys.|
|49 days||Commuter and daily use roads, unpaved roads, high-altitude mountain roads, safaris, deserts, and other road types unique to Africa.|
Information from this point onwards has already been announced
- FIA World Rally Championship (WRC)
- TOYOTA GAZOO Racing will race the "Yaris WRC" (Japan name: "Vitz") developed in Finland under the leadership of Team Principal Tommi Mäkinen. The engine is a 1.6-liter direct-injection turbo GI4A, developed at Toyota Motorsport GmbH (TMG).
|Team name||TOYOTA GAZOO Racing World Rally Team (WRT)|
|Team chairman||Akio Toyoda|
|Team principal||Tommi Mäkinen (Finland)|
|Vehicle||Yaris WRC (length: 4,085 mm; width: 1,875 mm)|
|Engine||GI4A (1.6-liter direct-injection turbo with a maximum output of at least 380 horsepower)|
|No.||Driver / Co-driver|
|8||Driver||Ott Tänak (Estonia)|
|Co-driver||Martin Järveoja (Estonia)|
|10||Driver||Jari-Matti Latvala (Finland)|
|Co-driver||Miikka Anttila (Finland)|
|5||Driver||Kris Meeke (UK)|
|Co-driver||Seb Marshall (UK)|
- FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC)
- The FIA World Endurance Championship has taken place every year since 2012.
- 2018-2019 is a "Super Season," and 2019 begins with Round 6, the 1000 Miles of Sebring, on March 15, 2019, and concludes with Round 8, the 24 Hours of Le Mans, on June 15-16, 2019.
- TOYOTA GAZOO Racing will compete in the races with two of the improved "TS050 HYBRID" models, which are developed and operated by TMG.
- The THS-R (TOYOTA Hybrid System-Racing) powertrain, developed at TOYOTA Higashifuji Technical Center in Japan, not only follows the existing four-wheel regenerative/drive system, but also improves the reliability of the engine, electric motors/generators and batteries. These technologies will be leveraged to the mass-production hybrid and electric vehicles.
- TS050 HYBRID will be equipped with Michelin tires.
- TOYOTA GAZOO Racing will compete in the 2019-2020 WEC season with two TS050 HYBRID models. The eight-round season will begin with the 4 Hours of Silverstone on September 1 2019 and concludes with the 24 Hours of Le Mans on June 13-14 2020. The driver line-up will be announced at a later date.
2018-2019 WEC season
|TOYOTA GAZOO Racing
|TS050 HYBRID||7||Mike Conway (UK)|
|Kamui Kobayashi (Japan)|
|José María López (Argentina)|
|8||Sébastien Buemi (Switzerland)|
|Kazuki Nakajima (Japan)|
|Fernando Alonso (Spain)|
- Japanese Rally Championship
- We will participate in the highest-category rally championship in Japan, and refine both our people and cars as part of our efforts for making "ever-better cars."
- The team's engineers and mechanics are Toyota employees, and the company's employees are involved in all aspects of the JRC, from car manufacturing to participation in the rallies themselves.
|Team||Vehicle||Driver / Co-driver||Engineers and Mechanics|
|TOYOTA GAZOO Racing||TGR Vitz GRMN Rally||Tomoyuki Shinkai / Yuichi Ando||Toyota Employees|
- Dakar Rally
- Toyota regularly supports Team Land Cruiser Toyota Auto Body (TLC), which competes in the Dakar Rally with Toyota "Land Cruiser 200."
Team Land Cruiser
|Vehicle||Driver / Co-driver||Position in Production Vehicle Division1||Position in Diesel Class2||Overall Position|
|Car no. 350||Driver||Christian Lavieille (France)||1st||1st||24th|
|Co-driver||Jean Pierre Garcin (France)|
|Car no. 349||Driver||Akira Miura (Japan)3||2nd||2nd||29th|
|Co-driver||Laurent Lichtleuchter (France)|
1Includes gasoline and diesel classes
2TLC competed in the diesel class of the production vehicle division
3Toyota Auto Body Employee
- Also, many teams including global Toyota group, are challenging the Dakar Rally with Toyota's vehicles.
- The 2019 Dakar Rally finished on January 17th. TOYOTA GAZOO Racing South Africa, car no. 301, won the rally in a Hilux. This is a momentous first―the first time a Toyota vehicle has achieved this position at the pinnacle of the legendary Dakar Rally. Team Land Cruiser Toyota Auto Body (TLC) , car no. 350, has emerged victorious for the sixth consecutive year in the Production Division category. And Hino Team Sugawara, car no. 510, came in first place, as well, for the tenth consecutive year, with the Hino Ranger in the Truck category (10-liter engine or smaller).
TOYOTA GAZOO Racing South Africa
|Vehicle||Driver / Co-driver||Overall Position|
|Car no. 301||Driver||N. Al-Attiyah (Qatar)||1st|
|Co-driver||M. Baumel (France)|
|Car no. 304||Driver||G. de Villiers (South Africa)||9th|
|Co-driver||D. Von Zitzewitz (Germany)|
|Car no. 309||Driver||B. Ten Brinke (Netherlands)||Retired|
|Co-driver||X Panseri (France)|
HINO Team Sugawara
|Vehicle||Driver / Co-driver||Truck category (less than 10 liters displacement class)|
|Car no. 510||Driver||Teruhito Sugawara (Japan)||1st|
|Co-driver||Katsumi Hamura (Japan)|
|Car no. 517||Driver||Yoshimasa Sugawara (Japan)||Retired|
|Co-driver||Ahito Sakurai (Japan)|
- Japan-Based Participatory Motorsport Events
- In the hope of extending the enjoyment of driving, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing will provide a full range of driving activities at venues around Japan in collaboration with the various regions and circuits, with increased support for people who would like to compete in participatory motorsports events such as races and rallies.
- TOYOTA GAZOO Racing 86/BRZ Race (organized by the Toyota Cars Race Association)
- TOYOTA GAZOO Racing Netz Cup Vitz Race (organized by the Toyota Cars Race Association)
- TOYOTA GAZOO Racing Rally Challenge (organized by the TOYOTA GAZOO Racing Rally Challenge Office)
- TOYOTA GAZOO Racing Driving Experience
- GR Series and GR Garage
- [Reference] GR series car lineup
In coordination with the launch of the GR series, a number of dealers in Japan are establishing a series of GR Garage shops in cooperation with TOYOTA GAZOO Racing. The garages will act as regional bases that aim to bring the joy of cars to a wide range of customers, with a focus on sports cars and motorsports.
Staffed at all times by dedicated GR Consultants, GR Garage provides a place where car-loving customers can talk with the staff and have fun. The garages will provide opportunities for customers to test-drive the 86 and GR series vehicles1. In addition, they will sell custom parts and TGR collection items, host variety of events and activities, and create a place for adults and children to indulge their love of cars2.
GR Garage shops seek to become "the most exciting car shops in town"―places where car fans can gather, engage in conversation, and share their love of cars. Forty-nine GR Garage shops are scheduled to have opened by the end of March 2019.
1Test-drive vehicles will vary from garage to garage, depending on the models handled by the managing dealer.
2GR Garage shops and activities will vary according to the managing dealer. For further details, please ask your local GR Garage.
- Creating Opportunities for Car Lovers and Car Fans to Interact
- TOYOTA GAZOO Racing is working to increase spaces and opportunities for car lovers and motorsports fans to discuss their car-related hopes and dreams, and to talk about the joy of cars.
- TOYOTA GAZOO Racing FESTIVAL*
- TOYOTA GAZOO Racing PARK*
- TOYOTA GAZOO Racing will host booths at domestic custom car shows*
- MO-SPO Festival 2019 Suzuka -Motorsports Fan Thanks Day-*
|*||Events (1) to (4) will be held in Japan.|