Sep. 12, 2017
Toyota Reintroduces Hilux into Japanese Market after 13-year Hiatus
Land Cruiser Prado undergoes partial redesign and FJ Cruiser launches with special specifications
Toyota City, Japan, September 12, 2017―Toyota Motor Corporation announces the reintroduction of the Hilux into the Japanese market after a 13-year hiatus, alongside the debut of the partially redesigned Land Cruiser Prado, both of which launch through Toyota dealerships1 across Japan on September 12. The special specification FJ Cruiser model launches through Toyota dealerships across Japan on October 16.
Since its initial launch in 1968, the Hilux has been sold in approximately 180 countries and regions worldwide. It enjoys popularity around the world, with cumulative global sales reaching 17.3 million units2. In introducing the Hilux to the Japanese market, chief engineer Masahiko Maeda, who serves as the product's development manager, noted that "while sales in Japan ended in 2004, there are still around 9,000 owners who mainly use the Hilux for work. Many people have called for its reintroduction, and we wanted to properly respond to their needs and those of similar customers."
"Furthermore, I would like to propose to customers not only the functional value of objects but also their conceptual value, in terms of special experiences gained by having them in your possession. We realize that for various practical reasons, the Hilux can be a difficult vehicle to choose―for example, being a Class 1 vehicle, it requires annual inspection, and it is subject to slightly higher expressway tolls."
Mr. Maeda remarked that he "believes the Hilux is a vehicle that embodies the joy of owning something special, due in part to its dignified appearance, together with a toughness forged in the real world, and hopes the vehicle appeals to the on-the-go spirit of the baby boomers, a customer segment that wants to embrace an active lifestyle."
The partially redesigned Land Cruiser Prado, sporting a new, refined exterior that lends an air of strength and innovation to the vehicle, also now comes with the Toyota Safety Sense P collision avoidance support package as standard in all grades.
The latest model of the FJ Cruiser marks the vehicle's special specification "Final Edition" model and features a special shade of beige throughout the interior and exterior of the vehicle that creates a distinctive sense of modernity.
- 1Land Cruiser Prado
- through Osaka Toyopet Co., Ltd. in that region
2As of July 31 according to Toyota Motor Corporation
- The exterior reflects a "tough yet emotional" design expressing power and vigor. The interior features silver highlights throughout along with blue cabin illumination, creating a sense of sophistication. Five colors were selected for the exterior panels, including Nebula Blue Metallic and Crimson Spark Red Metallic, while the interior is black.
- The vehicle is equipped with a 2GD-FTV 2.4-liter diesel engine. Offering power performance demonstrating high torque even in the low revolution range, it also demonstrates excellent environmental performance through high thermal efficiency and achieves a fuel efficiency rating of 11.8 km/L1.
- The vehicle is outfitted with safety features, including a Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection2 collision avoidance support package to recognize pedestrians, as well as cars. Additionally, Lane Departure Alert2 is an installed feature that helps prevent accidental lane departures.
- The vehicle is equipped with a part-time 4WD system that allows the driver to select driving modes at the touch of a dial. The two-wheel drive mode boasts superior quietness and fuel efficiency and is ideal for driving in urban areas and on expressways. This can be switched to four-wheel drive for rough terrain and slippery roads, thus comfort and performance can always be maintained. Also, driving power can be adjusted to suit various road conditions through Hill-start Assist Control, Active Traction Control2, or Downhill Assist Control2. As an authentic 4WD vehicle, it achieves high on- and off-road driving performance.
- The vehicle adopts a suspension system that boosts vibration damping, as well as a high-strength frame that ensures excellent running stability and driving comfort both on- and off-road.
- By setting the steel bumper at a low position behind the bed, passengers can safely board and disembark when loading and unloading items. Also, large hand grips help passengers enter and exit the cabin with ease.
- The new exterior design further enhances strength and innovation.
- The center of the hood is shaped in a way that takes forward visibility into account, while the front of the vehicle exudes power aided by the conjoined large front grille and headlamps. Other new features include LEDs for the headlamps in all cars and 19-inch aluminum wheels (machine-cut highlights and dark gray metallic coating)3.
- The rear design suppresses the protrusion of the combination lamp and realizes a more stable stance through modification of the trim design.
- The interior has a more advanced design, particularly the instrument panel.
- Lowering the upper part of the air vent ring (air conditioning outlet) improves visibility. In addition, the thin, tablet-style design of the navigation display adds a modern tone to the interior. Metal highlights have been added to the center cluster and dashboard to increase the premium feel.
- The steering wheel was designed with attention to ease of grip, and its new appearance blends seamlessly with the instrument panel.
- The vehicle supports safe driving through the inclusion of the Toyota Safety Sense P collision avoidance support package and Drive-Start Control as standard features, together with the new addition of the Blind Spot Monitor4.
- The exterior panels come in a total of nine colors including the new Blackish Ageha Glass Flake (option color) and Avant Garde Bronze Metallic. The interior specifications adopt two colors including Neutral Beige.
- For the first time, the Land Cruiser series uses Torsen®5 limited-slip differential for the rear differential with the option to select between five driving modes (Normal, Eco, Comfort, Sport S, and Sport S+) depending on driving conditions and are included as standard on the TZ-G to enhance driving pleasure.
- The diesel vehicle grade system has been revised with the addition of a 7-seater to the TX and a 5-seater to the TX L Package.
- The special specification "Final Edition" model adopts a select beige color for the exterior, seat upholstery, and the center cluster trim. To add further appeal, black coating has been applied extensively in the interior and exterior, and special 20-inch aluminum wheels and side steps are included.
1Under the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism of Japan's JC08 test cycle
2Standard feature for Z
3Standard feature for the TZ-G, optional for the TX L Package
4Optional feature for the TZ-G and the TX L Package
5Torsen® is a trademark of the JTEKT Corporation
- Points of sale
- Toyota dealerships throughout Japan (Land Cruiser Prado: through Osaka Toyopet Co., Ltd. in that region)
- Sales targets for Japan
- 2,000 units / year
- Land Cruiser Prado
- 1,800 units / month
- FJ Cruiser
- 200 units / month
- Dealership launch events
- October 21 (Saturday) and 22 (Sunday)
- Ban Pho Plant, Toyota Motor Thailand Co., Ltd.
- Land Cruiser Prado, FJ Cruiser
- Hamura Plant, Hino Motors, Ltd.
Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Prices
|6 Super ECT3||3,267,000|
|6 Super ECT3||3,538,080|
|Special specification model
"Final Edition" model
|5 Super ECT4||3,492,720|
1Includes consumption tax and does not include recycling fees. Separate pricing applies for Okinawa
2Includes consumption tax and does not include recycling fees. Separate pricing applies for Hokkaido and Okinawa
- 36 Super ECT
- Super Intelligent, Electronically Controlled, Six-Speed Automatic Transmission
- 45 Super ECT
- Super Intelligent, Electronically Controlled, Five-Speed Automatic Transmission
- Link to the "Hilux" webpage (Japanese only)
- Link to the "Land Cruiser Prado" webpage (Japanese only)
- Link to the "FJ Cruiser" webpage (Japanese only)