Feb. 08, 1982
TOYOTA INTRODUCES DIESEL POWERED COROLLA AND SPRINTER
First Popular-Size Diesel Passenger Cars in Japan
TOKYO―Toyota Motor Co., Ltd. and Toyota Motor Sales Co., Ltd. today jointly announced the addition of five diesel engine sedans in both the Corolla and Sprinter series, together with two diesel powered commercial-use Corolla station wagons. AH 12 new cars went on the market today throughout Japan. These are the first popular-size Japanese passenger cars equipped with diesel powerplants.
The new Corolla and Sprinter diesel models feature the 1C diesel engine, a superb Toyota development featuring the latest in automotive technology. Already highly reputed for its use in the Corona and Carina diesels, the 1C diesel yielded top level fuel economy values of 31 km/L over a set course at 60 km/h (maker notification values for Corolla Custom DX and Sprinter Special DX with 5-speed manual transmission), plus excellent driving performance and a whisper quiet ride.
- All new Corolla and Sprinter diesel models feature the Toyota 1C diesel engine, with top features including:
- High Fuel EfficiencyThe 1C diesel engine is a compact, lightweight, direct-drive OHC powerplant with aluminum alloy cylinder heads and other key advances that mean superb fuel efficiency―31 km/L in the Corolla Custom DX and Sprinter Special DX 5-speed manual transmission models over a set course at 60 km/h.
- Excellent Driving PerformanceBoth the Corolla and Sprinter diesel offer maximum power output of 65 ps/4,500 rpm and maximum torque of 11.5 kg-m/3,000 rpm. Impressive power added to lightweight vehicle bodies equals outstanding driving performance.
- Quiet RideEngine noise has been held to a bare minimum through use of small-size injection nozzles, a low-noise timing belt and mass-damper equipped engine mounts, to provide a luxuriously quiet, relaxing ride.
- Faster StartingMajor improvements in engine start-up time have been achieved through adoption of the Super Glow Control System with fast heating glow plugs. Cold starts have been improved by a device which automatically raises rpms in response to lower water temperatures.
- The models described in this release are available only in Japan.
- To assure a quiet ride, besides curbing engine noise, Toyota has added extra insulation to the engine hood, instrument panel and dashboard.
- Five sedans are available in both the Corolla and Sprinter series. Sedans in both series include three with 5-speed manual transmission and two with 4-speed automatic transmission with overdrive. Two Corolla commercial-use stations wagons are also offered.
- The Corolla and Sprinter diesel models feature the same trim and equipment features as their gasoline-engine counterparts.
Major specifications of all the new models are listed below.
- High Fuel Efficiency
COROLLA DIESELMAJOR SPECIFICATIONS
SPRINTER DIESELMAJOR SPECIFICATIONS
- *Total length when equipped with shock-absorbing urethane bumper.
Feb. 08, 1982