Oct. 03, 1984
TOYOTA UNVEILS NEW "FX" SERIES, COROLLA TWO-BOX MODEL
TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION today announced the addition of a two-box type "FX" series to its popular Corolla passenger car line, simultaneously releasing the new model for sale throughout Japan.
The Corolla FX series is a FWD two-box passenger car, developed in response to new demands for style, economy and comfort in the popular-size car market, which in recent years has recorded outstanding growth. In developing this new series, wide-ranging demands from young people, female drivers, and those with families were taken into close consideration, and emphasis was placed on the following three points.
- Aerodynamically efficient styling projecting a sense of youth and vitality.
- Spacious interior and luxurious appointments and equipment.
- Harmony between high performance and low fuel consumption.
Aerodynamic characteristics were given close attention in designing the exterior, resulting in a coefficient of drag of 0.34, the lowest coefficient level for a two-box car.
With the addition of the FX series, the Corolla series comprises three basic body types, including a FWD sedan (4-door and 5-door versions) and a RWD coupe (2-door and 3-door versions).
COROLLA 3-DOOR 1600 FX-GT
- Engine and Transmission
- The FX is available with three types of engines, featuring a fine balance between power and fuel efficiency.
- 4A Twin Cam 16 (4A-GELU type, four-cylinder, 1587cc)
- Japan's first twin-cam engine designed for two-box cars (mounted on FX-GT). The maximum power output of 130 hp/6,600 rpm is the highest in a popular two box-type model. Performance load established for each body section has raised body rigidity, enhancing handling.
- 4A-EFI-FF (4A-ELU type, four-cylinder, 1587cc)
- Adoption of an electronically controlled fuel injection system (EFI-D) gives this superior performance and outstanding fuel efficiency, (mounted on FX-SR).
- 3A-FF (3A-LU type, four cylinder, 1452cc)
- Features helical ports with swirl control valves to lower fuel consumption and boost performance. Fuel efficiency measured in 10-mode tests was 17.8 km/L (FX-D model with knock-control device, Ministry of Transport inspection values), an outstanding figure for a car in this class.
- The FX-G is equipped with a four-speed, fully automatic transmission with overdrive excelling in fuel efficiency and response. The FX-SR and FX-GT, meanwhile, feature the ECT-S electronically controlled four-speed fully automatic transmission, offering the choice of "Economy," "Power" or "Manual" modes to allow the driver to adjust to all driving and road conditions.