May. 15, 1987
TOYOTA ANNOUNCES NEW COROLLA AND SPRINTER SERIES
Toyota City―TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION has fully remodeled the Corolla and Sprinter Series, which go on sale nationwide today.
COROLLA SEDAN 1500 SE LIMITED May 1987
SPRINTER SEDAN 1500 SE SALOON May 1987
The Corolla first marketed in 1966―the year in which Japan's rapid motorization began―has achieved a number of remarkable records. For example, it has been the best selling domestic passenger car for 18 straight years, from 1969 to 1986.
In 1983, the Corolla became the first Japanese car reach 10 million units in cumulative production. The Corolla has, in many ways, been the locomotive of Japanese motorization, and is now exported to 130 countries, winning the hearts of millions around the world.
The Sprinter was introduced in 1968 in response to the progress of motorization and the diversifying demands of customers.
Since then, the Sprinter has maintained an outstanding reputation as a stylish, high-quality passenger car.
The Corolla and Sprinter are still Toyota's leading models, and have been continually improved and upgraded over the years. However, as the lifestyles of customers have changed, a need has arisen for cars with more power, improved performance and richer interiors and exteriors.
To respond to these demands, the sixth-generation Corolla and Sprinter were developed to be two of the world's highest-quality cars. Toyota's fifty years of technological experience are reflected in these new models, which are aimed at the 1990s.
- Special attention was paid to the following two key areas
- A wider selection of body styles reflects the diversified lifestyles of today's customers.The new Corolla Series comes in Sedan, FX and Levin models. The dignified Sedan fits the tastes of mature drivers; the roomy hatchback FX is just as fashionable and has a new, more youthful look (three or five doors); and the Levin is a graceful lightweight sports coupe. Each combines outward beauty with a solid, quality feel throughout.The new Sprinter Series comes in Sedan, Trueno and Cielo models. The Sedan features a stylish, hard-top look; the Trueno is an elegant sports coupe; and the 5-door Cielo has a number of specialty car features. The lineup is designed to satisfy a wide range of needs.
- All models are "fun to drive" because of their excellent overall performance.
- Multi-valve engines are mounted on every gasoline engine-powered carToyota's third example of family car multi-valve engines, the 5A-F and 5A-FE types, are the world's only engines in the 1.5-liter class with four valves featuring camshafts driven by scissors gears. In addition, a twin-cam 4A-GZE with a supercharger has been added, which is positioned at the top of the 1.6-liter sports twin-cam series. Together with the 1.6-liter twin-cam 4A-GE and the 1.3-liter three-valve 2E, multi-valve engines are now mounted on every gasoline engine-powered car, giving Toyota one of the most sophisticated engine selections in the industry, all providing high output, low fuel consumption, quick response and low noise.The first example was the 2.0-liter twin-cam 3S-FE type; and the second, the 2.0-liter V-6 four-cam 1VZ-FE type.
- Newly designed strut-type, four-wheel independent suspensionTo meet the demands for increased power and performance while sticking to the proven strut-type, four-wheel independent suspension, new components have been developed and the suspension geometry improved. Thanks to a more rigid body structure and a subframe supporting the suspension at both front and rear, excellent handling and stability, as well as a comfortable ride, have been achieved.
- Significantly Improved RigidityBy making use of CAD structural analysis, the skeletal structure, the sectional shape of each member and the panel surface design have been optimized for rigidity. In addition to significantly improving body rigidity, all body sections have been designed to reduce vibration as well.
The result is a body with minimal vibration and noise.
- Multi-valve engines are mounted on every gasoline engine-powered car
- A wider selection of body styles reflects the diversified lifestyles of today's customers.
*60 km/h for fuel consumption in proving ground test (value submitted to Ministry of Transport)