Aug. 19, 1987
TOYOTA INTRODUCES ALL-NEW COROLLA VAN AND WAGON
Toyota City―TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION today began sales in Japan of its completely remodeled Corolla Van and Wagon lines.
COROLLA 4-DOOR VAN 1500GL EXTRA
COROLLA WAGON G-TOURING
The new models follow the same basic design as the Corolla Sedan introduced in May, with the greatest emphasis on improved performance, upgraded loading capacity, operating economy and ride comfort. New high-performance multivalve engines with outstanding fuel economy and completely revamped interiors and exteriors are incorporated in the remodeled series. The luggage compartment in both models is 65mm wider and 60mm longer for increased carrying capacity, and the rear deck height is lowered 10mm for easier loading and unloading.
To the Corolla Wagon line, Toyota has added the new sporty G-Touring model, expanding the variety of grades available in this series to satisfy a wider range of customer tastes.
- The main features of the new Corolla Van and Wagon lines include
- A New LookA richly rounded front-end design, a rotund roofline, and flowing body-flush windows all around blend to provide an aerodynamic look. Modified dimensions give the new models a larger, wide and low silhouette.
- New EnginesThe power plant in the Van and Wagon 1.3 liter series was changed from the previous 4K type engine to the new 2E type 12-Valve engine. In the 1.5 liter-series Van, the 5K type was replaced with the new 3E type 12-Valve engine. The newly added G-Touring Wagon has the very efficient new twin-cam 5A type 16-Valve engine. All of the new engines give quick response and high performance while providing better fuel economy.
- Luxury Inside and OutThe models have semi-concealed front windshield wipers, large polypropylene bumpers and a fully appointed center console box―all as standard equipment.
Front seat cushions use a highly elastic padding for enhanced rider comfort. Pitch ratios for reclining the front backrest and moving the front seat assembly are smaller for finer adjustment.
- Improved Loading CapacityThe loading capacity is greatly increased, with a 65mm wider luggage compartment and 110mm more room between the rear wheel houses, as compared with the previous models.The use of a 4-link hinged rear seat cushion (see the illustration) has helped enlarge the luggage compartment while maintaining passenger space. With the rear seat in its normal down position, the luggage compartment is lengthened by 10mm, and in the folded position, by 60mm.Loading and unloading operations are made easier by the 10mm lower deck height of the luggage compartment and the wide opening area of the back door.
- A New Look
- Greater Body Rigidity and Corrosion ResistanceReinforcement pieces and high-tension steel plates are adopted to make the body more rigid and minimize vibration and noise.Galvannealled steel sheets and rust-preventive wax are used over wider areas for higher corrosion resistance.
- Increased SelectionThe addition of the GL Extra to the Corolla Van line and the G-Touring to the Wagon line provides a wider range of customer choice.The GL Extra is based on GL specifications, adding power side mirrors and rear wipers and power locking back doors as luxurious, functional standard equipment.The G-Touring model comes with the highly efficient 5A type 16-Valve twin-cam engine (4-cylinder, 1498cc) and four-wheel independent suspension for superb operating performance and running stability. A sporty-type front seat and fold-down split rear seatbacks, power side mirrors and an AM/FM multiradio with electronic tuning function are included as standard equipment for luxury and comfort.
Main specificationsCorolla Van
Main SpecificationsCorolla Wagon
|Note||*||M/T means manual transmission.
A/T means automatic transmission
|**||constant speed at 60 km/h|