Tokyo―TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION has redefined luxury by fully redesigning and refining its Crown and Crown Majesta flagships, setting the standard for 21st century mobile comfort and quality. The all-new models, including a debuting Athlete Series, which compliments the refreshed Crown Royal, cruise in to Toyota dealerships nationwide today.
- Crown Majesta 4.0 C Type
- Crown Royal Saloon G
- Crown Athlete V
The Crown has earned acclaim as a leading name in Japanese luxury cars for nearly half a century, with more than 4 million units having been sold in Japan since its debut in 1955. This latest full model change-the 11th in the Crown's illustrious history―brings innovations in performance and handling, enhanced environmentally-conscious features, and upgraded safety and comfort. And for the sportier at heart, the new Crown Athlete Series offers a level of driving performance that exceeds what is normally expected of conventional luxury cars.
Pre-redesign models have also been improved and re-released.
The Jewels That Make the Crown
The new Crown redefines the modem luxury sedan. The engine and fuel tank have been moved closer to the center of the vehicle, reducing the inertial momentum of yaw (side-to-side movement), increasing driving performance and allowing for a larger luggage space and cabin. The exterior and interior design blend the Crown's traditional elegance with outspoken modem styling.
A newly-developed 3.0 liter direct fuel-injection BEAMS*1 D-4 engine has been added to the engine lineup. The Crown also features a new platform, a new body with increased rigidity, and a new double wishbone rear suspension. Expanding on the Crown's traditional high-quality driving performance and riding comfort, these features also provide outstanding handling and driving stability.
The new Crown incorporates a variety of environmentally-conscious features. All models have low emission levels that meet new emissions regulations*2, and models with the 3.0 liter direct fuel-injection BEAMS D-4 engine are among the most fuel-efficient luxury sedans available. Toyota's new easily-recycled TSOP (Toyota Super Olefin Polymer) material has also been used extensively in these models.
The new Crown has adopted the latest innovations in safety technology. For preventive safety, more Crown models have been equipped with the revolutionary VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) system. New technologies added include EBD (Electronic Brake Force Distribution) in the anti-lock braking system, and ARS (active rear steering). For collision safety, the GOA*3 body has been refined, and new SRS (supplemental restraint system) curtain shield airbags have been added.
The interior has been designed for occupant comfort, with numerous comfort refinements and an improved ultra-high level of quietness.
- Breakthrough Engine with Advanced Mechanism System
- *3GOA (Global Outstanding Assessment)
- A world-class safety evaluation
- A redesigned package redefines the modern luxury sedan―exterior and interior design blend Crown's traditional elegance with outspoken modern styling.
- Redesign for a better ride
- Outstanding handling and driving stability have been achieved by moving the engine closer to the vehicle's center and placing the fuel tank under the floor below the rear seats. This arrangement reduces the inertial momentum of yaw, while also making room for a larger trunk.
- A higher seat position and overall vehicle height, combined with a larger cabin, create ample legroom, lateral room and head room in both the front and back.
- The look of luxury is enhanced by a high-rigidity sash-type structure, which allows for larger doors to match the spacious cabin. The doors also have a weightier feel and improve the quietness of the cabin.
- Exterior and interior design blend the Crown's traditional elegance with outspoken styling.
Interior designThe materialization of an easy-to-use, ergonomically designed layout combines with the established design of the Crown instrument panel, giving the interior a sensation of openness. The interior is enlivened by wood grain panels, color-coordinated to match any of the three interior color patterns.
- While maintaining its distinctive front and clear-cut horizontally-based design, the new Crown turns to its larger cabin and short front overhang to create an energetic form.
- The Crown Majesta takes elegance and luxury to the next level, while the Royal Series finds its strength in being the definitive formal Japanese luxury car. And the newest addition to Crown excellence, the Athlete Series, takes bold and high-performance looks to a new dimension.
- The Crown's traditional high-quality driving performance and riding comfort have been refined, while providing outstanding handling and driving stability.
- New 21st century engines boasts ample power and high fuel efficiency. A newly-developed 3.0 liter direct fuel-injection BEAMS D-4 engine, a 4.0 liter V8 engine, and a new 2.5 liter turbo engine come with VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing-intelligent), a feature that maximizes torque in all engine speed ranges. All can be used in combination with the advanced 5 SuperECT, ECT-iE, or ECT-i transmissions.
3.0 liter direct fuel-injection BEAMS D-4 gasoline engine
Direct fuel-injection allows ultra-lean combustion. The fuel spray is more dispersed, and the shapes of the fuel spray and piston top surfaces have been optimized. These improvements expand the ultra-lean combustion range, and offer unprecedented fuel efficiency at all engine speeds. The combination of VVT-i, an electronically-controlled throttle, and straight port heads for low air intake resistance results in powerful driving performance and outstanding driveability.5 SuperECT
5 SuperECT is an advanced 5-speed automatic transmission featuring flexible lock-up control and shifting controlled by AI (artificial intelligence). When combined with a direct fuel-injection gasoline engine or other high-efficiency engine, SuperECT provides an outstanding balance of high fuel efficiency and lively acceleration.
The Athlete Series also includes Steer Shiftmatic, a function that provides highly responsive shifting.
The new platform reduces the inertial momentum of yaw, improving handling responsiveness and cornering. The redesigned rear double wishbone suspension reduces the change in the vehicle's center of gravity during a roll, and improves driving stability and riding flatness.The electronically-controlled air suspension features the latest nonlinear H∞ damping force control and roll posture control. It is combined with ARS (active rear steering), a feature that improves vehicle stability (available with some Crown Majesta grades). H∞ TEMS, a function that uses the same non-linear H∞ damping force control,provides further stability and riding comfort (Royal Saloon G).
- The Athlete Series augments the Crown's driving performance
- The 2.5 liter turbo engine (1JZ-GTE) used exclusively in the Athlete Series can provide more than 30 kg-m of torque at 2,000 rpm. It provides a high degree of stability during acceleration, and outstanding cornering stability.
- The Athlete comes with a variety of highly individual features. It has a leather-covered steering wheel, Steer Shiftmatic (except on 4WD models), a gate-type shift lever, and leather-covered knobs. It features large 16-inch disk brakes (2.5 liter turbo model), and different-sized high-performance front and rear tires (2.5 liter turbo model). Special aluminum wheels (except on 4WD model), discharge headlamps, wide-view door mirrors, and special occupant-hugging seats allow for active and aggressive driving.
- The new Crown incorporates a variety of environmentally-conscious features. All models meet new emissions regulations, and models with the direct fuel-injection BEAMS D-4 gasoline engine are among the most fuel-efficient luxury sedans available. Toyota's new easily-recycled TSOP material has also been used extensively.
- Clean emissionsIn all models, CO, HC and NOx emissions are 70% lower than the current regulated values, and all models meet the new emissions regulations that will take effect in October 2000 (making Crown buyers eligible for reduced tax at the time of purchase*1). HC and NOx emissions are more than 25% below the stricter J-TLEV levels taking effect in October 2000 as temporary technical guidelines by Japan's Environment Agency for low-polluting vehicles (except for the 2.5 liter turbo model and 4.0 liter 4WD model).
- CO2 reduction
CO2 emissions have been reduced by employing VVT-i in all Crown engines, as well as with a high-efficiency transmission and power-saving air conditioning. Privacy glass (Athlete Series) reduces the energy of radiated sunlight to prevent the interior from becoming too hot. A flatter under-floor construction and more streamlined parts improve the aerodynamic performance (Cd value 0.29), for greater fuel efficiency. The newly-developed 3.0 liter direct fuel-injection BEAMS D-4 engine can achieve a mileage of 11.4 km per liter (Royal, Athlete Series in 10.15 mode), placing Crown among the most fuel-efficient luxury sedans available. Crown already meets new fuel efficiency regulations due to go into effect in 2010 (making Crown buyers eligible for reduced tax at the time of purchase*2).
- If both these tax reductions apply to a vehicle, the purchaser must select one.
- Adaptation to recyclingToyota's new TSOP material is very easy to recycle, and has improved strength, rigidity and molding characteristics. Its use in the Crown's front/rear bumpers, rocker molding and side protection molding (Crown Majesta) helps reduce weight. The Crown's floor silencer (Royal, Athlete Series) is made of RSPP (recycled sound-proofing products), a high-performance sound-proofing material recycled from the shredder residue left over when end-of-life vehicles are shredded. Material recycled from bumpers is used in the trunk-protection trim and other areas.
- Reduction of environmentally hazardous materialsThe heater core, wire harness covering material, battery cable terminals, and other parts are lead-free, reducing the total amount of lead to less than half of that used in the previous Crown.
- A collection of the latest safety technologies gives Crown a level of safety unmatched by any luxury sedan.
- Preventive safety
Anti-lock braking system with EBD standard on all modelsEBD is a function that optimizes the distribution of braking force between the front and rear wheels, according to changes in the vehicle's load, or to load shifting during deceleration. This enables outstanding braking performance, and maximizes vehicle stability by optimizing the left/right braking force distribution when braking in a turn.Braking assist system provided as standard on all modelsThe braking assist system is used during an emergency braking situation. A computer analyzes the amount and speed at winch the brake pedal is depressed to determine the intended braking amount, and augments the braking force as required. For demanding braking conditions such as on a downgrade when fully loaded, a function has been added to assist braking with a hydraulic pump, further augmenting the braking force (standard on Royal, Athlete Series).Revolutionary VSC system standard (except for some grades)VSC reduces lateral skidding when the steering wheel is turned suddenly to avoid an object, or when turning on a slippery surface.ARSprovided as standard (in some Crown Majesta 4.0 C type)Using the latest control theory, ARS actively steers the rear wheels to maintain stability when there are strong crosswinds or other disturbances. ARS effectively maintains steering responsiveness and stability, for any type of change in the vehicle's functional condition.Discharge headlamps provided as standard (all Crown Majesta models, Athlete Series)Discharge headlamps provide over twice the amount of light of halogen lamps, and their long and wide range ensures outstanding visibility. An auto-leveling function is provided to maintain the beam axis in a constant position regardless of changes in the vehicle's posture.Rain-clearing door mirrors, water-repellent front door glass provided as standard on all modelsThe rain-clearing door mirrors make water droplets cling to the surface as a film, so that visibility is not affected. The mirrors also have a photocatalytic effect that breaks up organic matter to prevent surface dirt. Water-repellent front door glass also ensures clear vision on rainy days.Wide-view door mirrors provided as standard (all Crown Majesta models, Athlete Series)These models come with blue mirrors that reduce glare during the day and provide clear vision at night.Heads up display provided as standard (all Crown Majesta models)Speed and junction information for the navigation system (option) are displayed at the bottom of the windshield, letting the driver check them with little movement in the line of sight.Tire air pressure warning system provided as standard (some grades)A warning sounds when the tire pressure falls below the acceptable level, helping maintain handling and driving stability.
- Collision safety
- To ensure safety in collisions with heavier vehicles and at higher speeds, the Crown uses a more refined collision-safety GOA body. This body has passed higher-speed collision tests: 64 km/h for the 40% wrap offset front-end collision test, and 55 km/h for the full-wrap front-end collision test and side-on collision test.
- The pillars and roof side rails have built-in collision-absorbing ribs in the upholstery material, creating interior safety equal to that outlined by U.S. head impact attenuation standards.
- The front seats incorporate the WIL (whiplash injury lessening) concept in their structure, to reduce neck shock to occupants in a rear-end collision.
- Dual SRS airbags are standard on all models. In addition, front seat SRS side airbags and SRS curtain shield airbags (to reduce the shock to occupants' heads in a side-on collision) are provided as standard on all Crown Majesta and Royal Saloon G models (available as an option on all other models). Front seat belts with pre-tensioners and force limiters are provided are standard throughout the lineup.
- The interior has been designed for occupant comfort, with an improved ultra-high level of quietness and comfort refinements.
- The Crown is quieter than typical luxury cars. A cross-member has been placed under the dashboard, and floor panels have been made more rigid to reduce vibrations and road noise. The shape of the door mirrors has also been changed to reduce wind noise.
- Two newly-developed Optitron meters provide a luxury-car feel.
Dual-vision Optitron meter (Crown Majesta models, Royal Saloon G)
New Optitron meter (not available on Crown Majesta models, Royal Saloon G)A light shines on the meter, adding a shadow to the needle and providing a solid, elegant display.
- A 3-lens Optitron meter and a high-luminance, translucent EL (electroluminescence) display offering quick response and a wide-angle of view allow speed to be displayed in analog or digital format.
- The EL display can show information such as speed, outside temperature, maximum range and fuel consumption.
- Seats have been constructed from carefully-chosen materials for maximum comfort.
Newly-developed electric dual lumbar support structure (provided as standard on driver's seat of all Crown Majesta models)
- The seat back supports the lower back from two points, upper and lower. Each point can be adjusted independently to adjust the seat to the desired position.
- Rear power seats have a more comfortable reclining mechanism, with fixed cushions and reclining seat backs (provided as standard on some grades, and available as an option on some grades).
- Genuine leather seats have been added to the Crown Royal, Crown Majesta and the Athlete Series, and fabric seats have enhanced deodorizing characteristics.
- Fully automatic air conditioning with independent left/right temperature control is standard on all modelsA cooler for beverage cans has also been added to the back of the rear seat center arm rest (provided as standard on some grades, and available as an option on some grades).
- A power rear sun shade blocks direct sunlight through the rear window, providing additional comfort for rear seat passengers. The shade can be raised or lowered at the touch of a button and is stored automatically when lowered (provided as standard on some grades, available as an option on some grades).
Privacy glass (in rear doors, rear window) provides the look of a luxury car. It blocks over 90% of UV radiation, and cuts 70% of the energy of radiated sunlight, to keep the interior as cool as possible (provided as standard on Athlete Series models).ITS (intelligent transportation system) featuresElectro Multivision (an option on all models) uses DVD voice navigation to greatly increase the speed of the route-finding process. The system, which can pinpoint destinations as specific as individual street addresses, can be connected to multiplex FM broadcasts and VICS (Vehicle Information and Communication System) receiver equipment. It is also compatible with Toyota's MONET (Mobile Network) vehicle telecommunication service. The shape of intersections, direction of movement, distance to intersections, and other navigation information can be displayed on the heads up display at the bottom of the windshield (provided as standard on all Crown Majesta models).Radar cruise control (option on some Crown Majesta grades)The vehicle in front and the traffic lane are monitored by sensors such as laser radar sensors and steering sensors, to control the distance to the vehicle in front according to the travel speed (controlling the vehicle's speed within the set limit).Engine immobilizer system (provided as standard on all Crown Majesta models, Royal, and some Athlete Series grades)To prevent theft, the engine is designed to start only when a key with the registered ID code is used.TECS models (specially equipped with factory-installed features)These models come with the first Welcab rotating front passenger seat available in a large passenger car (Types A/B). The power rotating/sliding seat enables easy access for elderly people and the disabled. On Type B, power wheelchair storage equipment is standard.Improvements made to previous Crown sedansTurn signal lamps have been repositioned, and "white pearl crystal shine" has been added along with two other new exterior panel colors.