A new feel lightweight sports car combining the joy of the open air with the TOYOTA GAZOO Racing delight of handling at will.
- Regardless of the road, from the moment you start driving on all speed ranges, you can enjoy a firm, stable ride, responsive linear handling, and superior comfort with a sense of unity between steering and vehicle movements
- Exterior with sharpened functionality for driving
- Sporty and high-quality interior in black
- Exhilarating open air cruising that overflows with a sense of freedom
Toyota City, Japan, October 15, 2019―Toyota Motor Corporation (Toyota) announces the launch of the new "Copen GR SPORT" in Japan at Toyota dealers nationwide.
- Copen GR SPORT (5-speed manual) (options shown)
The new Copen GR SPORT is a two-seater convertible sports car according to the minivehicle standards and the first sports car in the series "GR" developed by TOYOTA GAZOO Racing. This is an OEM car manufactured by Daihatsu Motor Co., Ltd. for development, utilizing the knowledge gained through TOYOTA GAZOO Racing's motor sports activities.
Aiming to create ever-better cars by removing the barriers of the manufacturers, it combines the ideal driving experience of the GR with the Copen, a minivehicle, neither of which are in Toyota's product lineup. Born as an entry model of the GR that can feel the road surface and the behavior of the car body directly, and expand the possibilities of the Copen, you can enjoy a hard-ride like sports car, and easily enjoy sports driving.
Specifically, development has focused on body rigidity and suspension tuning. Optimal body rigidity balance is achieved by adding the front brace and changing the shape of the center brace. The suspension spring rate was optimized for the body rigidity, requiring time and effort, and in combination with a dedicated shock absorber, a smooth ride with supple movement, and the feeling of the tires gripping the ground was pursued.
In addition, the electric power steering tuned exclusively for this time contributes to a sense of unity between the steering and vehicle movements. We offer the pleasure of being able to use the engine power to the max because it is a minivehicle, and the superior comfort of controlling the vehicle at will, which is like a lightweight sports car in everyday life.
Design prioritizes functionality for driving. The front face uses the "Functional MATRIX" grille, which is the GR icon, with horizontal and vertical elements key to the design. A large opening lower grille that contributes to improved cooling performance and an under-spoiler-shaped front bumper that contributes to improved driving performance express intensity, while emphasizing the low center of gravity and wide and low styling. Aerodynamic performance was improved by rectifying the air by extending the bumper side and setting the front bumper air outlet.
The interior features special RECARO seats and dedicated self-lighting triple meter display to create a sense of anticipation of the ride, and a special piano black-toned decorative center cluster creates a sophisticated atmosphere. There are eight body colors in all. The interior color is black.
In addition, the electrified open/close roof Active Top is standard equipment, so you can easily enjoy the exhilaration of the open air.
TOYOTA GAZOO Racing will continue to make efforts to create attractive cars for car fans through dialogues with customers, utilizing the voices of many car enthusiasts to "create ever-better cars".
- Special front bumper and special radiator grille (functional MATRIX Grille)
- Special rear bumper (diffuser shaped)
- Exclusive BBS forged-aluminum wheels (special matte gray color paint)
- Special LED headlights + black extensions-toned decoration
- Special LED rear combination taillights + black-toned decoration
- Special LED fog lights / fog lights bezel
- GR SPORT emblem (front / side / rear)
- Special RECARO seats (GR embroidery logo)
- Dedicated self-lighting triple meter display (GR logo / red needle / red lighting)
- Special leather-wrapped steering wheel manufactured by MOMO (GR emblem + spoke part gun metallic-toned)
- Special piano black-toned (center cluster / door grip)
- Special tuning shock absorber (coil spring red paint)
- Special tuning electric power steering
- Special front brace added
- Special center brace where we changed the shape (special spats beneath the floor panels included)
- Front super LSD (manual car standards)
- Sales outlets
- Toyota, Toyopet, Toyota Corolla, and Netz dealers across Japan, and Toyota Mobility Tokyo Inc.
- Unveiling event at dealers
- Saturday, November 9 and Sunday, November 10
Daihatsu Motor Co., Ltd. Ikeda Plant Copen Factory
Copen Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Prices
|KF with intercooled turbo
|CVT with 7-speed Super Active Shift +
*Includes consumption tax; does not include recycling fees. Different pricing applies for Hokkaido and Okinawa.
Additionally, the customized parts, GR Parts that amplify the pleasure of a sporty styling and open air was also set in the Copen GR SPORT and was launched. The front spoiler, side skirt, and rear side spoiler that produce wide and low styling in addition to aerodynamic performance are available. In addition, front corner spoilers and rear trunk spoilers that contribute to a comfortable driving by arranging the airflow are available.
Major GR Parts Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Prices
|Price (Japanese yen)
|GR Front Spoiler*
|GR Front Corner Spoiler*
|GR Side Skirt*
|GR Rear Side Spoiler*
|GR Rear Trunk Spoiler*
Excluding installation costs and other expenses; includes consumption tax.
*These GR Parts are products of Toyota Customizing & Development, TRD parts, which are different from Toyota's genuine products.
- Link to the "Copen GR SPORT" webpage (Japanese only)