Apr. 12, 2022
Toyota to Launch All-New bZ4X BEV on May 12 in Japan
- Pursuing the unique novelty of a BEV, the appeal of driving, and safety and security
- Leasing to eliminate customer concerns while taking the environment into consideration, and provision to individual customers through KINTO
Toyota City, Japan, April 12, 2022―Toyota Motor Corporation (Toyota) will launch the all-new bZ4X BEV*1 on May 12.
|*1||Battery Electric Vehicle|
- Product Description (Japanese only)
- Question and Answer Session (Japanese only)
- bZ4X Z 4WD (options shown)
Overview of the bZ4X
- The concept is "Activity Hub"Toyota is striving to achieve innovation in all areas including the interior, styling, driving sensation, and performance with the aim of creating exciting cars where all passengers can share an enjoyable time and space.
- A BEV-dedicated platform, a first for Toyota, was developed with Subaru based on the e-TNGA philosophy to achieve attractive, smooth, intuitive driving performance, not just for a BEV, but for any car, as well as the off-road performance of an authentic SUV.
- Pursuit of the safety and peace of mind of a BEV
- The new bZ4X offers superior power efficiency performance (128 Wh/km*2) and sufficient cruising range for practical driving (559 km*2). In addition, development was conducted with a target of achieving a world-leading battery capacity retention ratio (90% after 10 years*3) in the pursuit of a BEV that can be used for an extended period with peace of mind.
- In addition to seeking a high level of safety for the battery itself, Toyota Safety Sense, Toyota's latest active safety package, as well as a body structure that can respond to collisions from all directions, a battery pack that contributes to ensuring protection performance in the event of a collision, and other safety features have been adopted in the pursuit of a BEV that can be driven with peace of mind.
- Leasing to eliminate customer concerns and contribute to achieving carbon neutrality (CN)
- All vehicles will be available for lease to eliminate customer concerns regarding residual battery performance, BEV maintenance, and residual value. Also to contribute to the achievement of CN, battery management will be implemented for all vehicles by using batteries without waste through the 3Rs (Rebuild, Reuse, Recycle).
- Provisions for individual customers will be through a bZ4X exclusive KINTO subscription service*4 plan.
- A maximum 10-year term with guaranteed battery performance. Monthly payments decrease in stages starting from the fifth year with no early cancellation fees.
- Connected service use and various other fees are included in the monthly fees.
- Measures will also be taken to improve leased bZ4X vehicles in conjunction with technological innovations.
|*2||All figures are calculated using FWD vehicles equipped with 18-inch tires in WLTC (World Harmonized Light Vehicles Test Cycle) mode and evaluated by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism.|
|*3||Estimated value is calculated assuming average usage set by Toyota using individual battery cells. Actual battery capacity retention ratio when installed in a vehicle environment may vary depending on customer use conditions, usage environment, and driving methods. Therefore, a 90% battery capacity retention ratio after 10 years is not guaranteed. The battery is guaranteed for 10 years or 200,000 km (70% battery capacity) under the manufacturer's warranty and BEV Battery Support Plus in Japan. We are also preparing guarantees and services tailored to each overseas region.|
|*4||Full-service lease that includes vehicle charges, insurance premiums, vehicle taxes, maintenance fees, etc. in the monthly fees.|
Contributing to the Reduction of CO2 Emissions Through a Variety of Options
Toyota Motor Corporation (Toyota) is striving to resolve various issues to realize a sustainable society, with the aim of passing down this beautiful Earth, our home planet, to future generations. Among these issues, reducing CO2 emissions is an urgent, global-scale challenge, and Toyota is taking measures to achieve carbon neutrality (CN) by 2050 and reduce CO2 with products that are easy to use and highly appealing.
Toyota's fundamental approach is to provide a practical and sustainable means of transportation. Therefore, Toyota is developing a full lineup of electrified vehicles comprising of HEVs, PHEVs, BEVs, and FCEVs. Toyota plans to prepare a variety of vehicle options that customers will want to drive and choose in the hopes of contributing to the reduction of CO2 emissions based on the policies and the spread of renewable energy in each region. Toyota will work to promote the proliferation of BEVs based on this approach. Regarding the bZ4X, Toyota will begin sales of the model globally as an option to promote CN, while considering market situations such as in North America, Europe, and China.
Sales Plan in Japan
In Japan, all vehicles will be leased to eliminate customer concerns regarding BEVs, while implementing battery management for all vehicles to promote the 3Rs (Rebuild, Reuse, Recycle) of batteries. The bZ4X will be made available to individual customers through KINTO subscription services with the aim of enabling use for extended periods with peace of mind and the development of customer-oriented services. For corporate customers, the vehicles will be leased from Toyota Rent-a-Lease Dealers nationwide and the Toyota Mobility Services Corporation (Tokyo region).
In Japan, Toyota will commence the first phase by accepting applications for the first 3,000 units on May 12 and anticipates a second phase of applications in early autumn. A total of 5,000 units for production and sales are planned for the first year.
In addition, Toyota will respond to developments in charging infrastructure. Toyota plans to install rapid chargers at all dealers in Japan by 2025, with initial plans to install rapid chargers mainly in urban areas where demand is high for BEVs.
In this way, with the introduction of the bZ4X in Japan, Toyota will take on the challenge of BEV sales contributing to CN and providing peace of mind regarding BEVs.
Motomachi Plant, Toyota Motor Corporation
Reference: Motomachi Plant started production using CO2-free utility power, which is sourced from 100% renewable energy.
Reference: Manufacturer's Recommended Prices
|Z||1XM (AC synchronous motor)||Lithium-ion Battery||FWD||6,000,000|
|1YM-1YM (AC synchronous motor)||4WD||6,500,000|
- No change from the press release at time of announcement of details on October 29
- Includes some additional information since the press release at time of announcement of details on October 29
- Additional information since the press release at time of announcement of details on October 29
With the introduction of the Toyota bZ series, which is based on a BEV-dedicated platform, Toyota established the following four target values. The bZ4X is a medium-segment SUV-type BEV developed based on these values.
- You & Others
In addition to a comfortable cabin, the Toyota bZ offers a new lifestyle and the opportunity to spend precious time with family and friends.
- You & Your Car
Toyota bZ delivers the BEV's unique joy of driving and excitement of anticipated possibilities.
- You & the Environment
Toyota bZ will not only reduce CO2 and other emissions―it will contribute positively to the environment.
- You & Society
Toyota bZ creates a safer society where everyone enjoys greater peace of mind.
- You & Others
In addition to a comfortable cabin, the Toyota bZ4X offers a new style of living and the opportunity to spend precious time with family and friends.
- A spacious, quiet, and relaxing space in any seat
A spacious cabin thanks to the BEV-dedicated platform
- Ensuring a tandem distance equivalent to a D-segment sedan (1,000 mm)
- Medium segment SUV class-leading legroom for front and rear seats
A quiet space that stimulates conversation
- A sense of freedom owing to the low instrument panel and large panoramic view moonroof (specially equipped vehicles)
- An upholstered instrument panel to create a calm interior
- High soundproofing glass and wind-noise reduction provide a quietness that enables clear conversation while driving
- BEV performance for safe and convenient driving, despite being a completely new car
Ensuring improved energy-saving performance and cruising range during driving for practical use (particularly in a winter setting)
Reduced charging time
- In addition to pursuing aerodynamic performance (Cd. 0.28) and reducing body weight, the following systems and equipment were adopted to reduce energy consumption outside of driving, especially power used for heating in winter settings
- Heat pump-type air-conditioning (the air conditioning unit has an All Auto (ECO) button for heating only the vicinity of passengers to reduce electricity consumption, especially in winter).
- Seat and steering wheel heaters, and front-seat radiant foot-heating (a first for Toyota)
- Compatible with rapid chargers worldwide (Compatible with 150 kW DC quick charging. A 90 kW charger can recharge the battery to 80% of capacity in 40 minutes. Actual charging times may vary depending on conditions at the time of charging.)
- The battery can be fully charged in about 12 hours using a standard charger (200V, 6kW, 30A).
- You & Your Car
Toyota bZ4X delivers the BEV's unique joy of driving and excitement for new possibilities.
- Appealing and competent driving perfected through joint development with Subaru: Defying the conventional wisdom that electrified vehicles are tedious, and instead achieving smooth, intuitive driving performance and off-road performance of genuine SUVs
- Thin high-capacity battery pack placed flat under the floor
- eAxle, integrating motor, transaxle and inverter (a first for Toyota)
- Electricity Supply Unit (ESU) consolidates charging and power distribution functions (a first for Toyota)
- Hot stamp materials used in key framework parts, adoption of a lightweight, highly rigid body structure made partially of high tensile steel
- Rigidity enhancement of various parts including around the battery pack, installation areas of the BEV unit and radiator, and around forward and rear suspensions
- Agile response, sense of linear acceleration, high-precision output control (easing acceleration / deceleration control and driver pedal operation, slip suppression control on slippery roads, etc.)
- Improved turning and stability through independent control of front and rear motors (4WD vehicle)
- Adoption of Subaru's AWD technology and X-MODE (4WD vehicle, a first for Toyota). In addition, the newly developed Grip-Control has been installed as a new feature for X-MODE. By leveraging motor drive characteristics, it is suited for all occasions from everyday driving to light off-road driving and more, achieving off-road performance that exceeds expectations of BEVs
- Cockpit (meters and operating system) supporting a new driving experience
Cockpit that emphasizes meter visibility
- Meters are positioned to be visible through the upper portion of the steering wheel (top-mounted meters, a first for Toyota)
Emphasizes ease of viewing by reducing eye movement and enabling a distant focal point
- Modularized driving controls including the steering column, and adoption of a wing-shape that promotes visual guidance from the hands to the meters
- Meters are positioned to be visible through the upper portion of the steering wheel (top-mounted meters, a first for Toyota)
- bZ4X Z FWD (Interior color: Black) (options shown)
Some models adopt the steer-by-wire system, where there is no mechanical connection between the steering wheel and tires. The characteristics are listed below:
- Lock-to-lock is set at around 150 degrees, eliminating the need to change grips when steering, greatly reducing the burden on the driver when making a U-turn, parking, or driving on winding roads.
- The steering feel is improved through independently controlled steering torque that the driver can sense in addition to the steering angle of the tires. Steering characteristics can be changed with the drive mode select.
- Blocks unnecessary vibrations from the tires and only transmits necessary vibrations such as road conditions. The system controls tire movement to ensure vehicle stability when driving on uneven surfaces or when the Lane Tracing Assist is activated.
- One-motion grip provides more legroom, improving driving position freedom and ease of entry and exit from the vehicle.
|*5||For the Chinese market, with subsequent rollout planned for other countries and markets. (Timing for rollout in the Japanese market is under consideration).|
- Pursuing a more intuitive and simplified operation
- Styling that expresses the innovation of a BEV and the impact of an SUV
Based on the design theme Hi-Tech and Emotion, we strived to create a form combining an advanced BEV feel with the inherent beauty of cars, while creating an advanced and sleek, powerful styling unique to SUVs.Side view Aiming for sleek proportions and expression of an unconstrained silhouette that takes advantage of the long wheelbase with the tires placed at the four cornersFront view The corners with aerodynamic features and the low profile bumper express the uniqueness of the BEV. Also, the large hammerhead shark-like shape running from the hood to the top of the headlamps is uniquely iconicRear view The rear combination lamps, back door, and bumper, which have a trapezoidal theme heading to the tires, create a powerful impression
- Latest infotainment system
The bZ4X adopts cloud navigation that uses map information on the cloud to obtain traffic information and parking space availability information in a timely manner. Additionally, BEV specialized services such as driving support, charging station display, driving support display, and driving range display are available.Enhanced voice-recognition function
Also able to operate wipers and air-conditioning.Over-the-air (OTA = wireless) software updates
Software updates to improve performance are possible for the latest active safety package, Toyota Safety Sense, and the multimedia system without needing to visit a dealership.Digital Key
With a smartphone, users can lock, unlock and start the system without screen operation. Digital keys can be handed over between smartphones, making it easy for family and friends to borrow and lend vehicles remotely.Equipped with onboard Wi-Fi, which turns the vehicle into a Wi-Fi hotspot. Devices such as smartphones and game devices can connect to the Internet with no data restrictions through the DCM, which is standard on all models.
- You & the Environment
Toyota bZ4X will not only reduce CO2 and other emissions―it will contribute positively to the environment.
- Energy-generating BEVs
Solar Charging System*6 (Option)
Contributes to excellent cruising range by generating power equivalent to a maximum of approximately 11.6 km of driving distance per day (according to Toyota's calculations) and up to 1,750 km in one year. Charging is possible even in parking lots that do not have charging stations, and solar power can be used for charging during a disaster or other emergencies. Electric power generated during driving is used to supplement the auxiliary battery system.
*6 The Solar Charging System may not be available for order depending on the manufacturing status.
- More proactive initiatives―such as recycling―for reducing CO2
3Rs (Rebuild, Reuse, Recycle) of BatteriesEnsures a worldwide top-class battery capacity retention ratio, as well as proactively undertaking battery rebuilds for automobiles, and reuse for electrical storage systems. We are also proactively promoting battery recycling initiatives to maximize the precious resources used for batteries and to recirculate the resources to next generation vehicles.Proactive adoption of recycled materials
- You & Society
Toyota bZ4X creates a safer society where everyone enjoys greater peace of mind.
- Latest active safety performances
- Pre-collision Safety System
This system expands the range of detection, adding motorcycles (daytime) to other vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists, to help avoid collisions or reduce damage. It provides additional support at intersections where accidents more frequently occur.
- In addition to enabling a right-turning vehicle at an intersection to detect oncoming vehicles in the adjacent two lanes traveling straight through the intersection, as well as enabling a right- or left-turning vehicle to detect pedestrians and cyclists crossing its path from the opposite direction, this system can also detect other vehicles and motorcyclists crossing at intersections.
- Low-Speed Acceleration Control function detects pedestrians, cyclists and other vehicles directly in front of the moving vehicle when traveling at low speeds and suppresses acceleration accordingly. In combination with the Parking Support Brake system (Stationary Objects), this enables expanded detection of objects when driving at low speeds.
- Emergency Steering Assist function assists the driver in emergency situations when prompted by the driver's steering input.
- Proactive Driving Assist
- This system supports avoidance steering and deceleration to avoid getting too close to pedestrians, cyclists and parked vehicles by anticipating risks according to the driving situation, such as "pedestrians crossing the road" or "vehicles that may suddenly start moving."
- It also supports the driver's deceleration in response to a vehicle or curve ahead and reduces the need for frequent changes in the pedal application.
Features Safe Exit Assist. If the system detects a vehicle (including a bicycle) approaching from the rear that is likely to collide with the open door or a passenger exiting the vehicle, a warning is provided by a flashing indicator on the door mirror, the dashboard displays a warning and a buzzer will sound.
- Pursues collision safety performance expected of BEVs
An omni-directional collision-response structure to protect passengers, batteries, and other vehicles
- BEV unit compartment is fitted with a cross framework firmly connecting left and right front-side members to boost collision energy absorption
- Two cross-members are located in front of the vehicle to reduce harm to the other vehicle
- Strong framework created at the cabin anterior to achieve full under-floor mounting of the battery pack
- Adopts a structure that distributes input load over multiple routes in a collision to stabilize and protect the cabin and battery pack in front or side collisions
- Battery safety
Strengthening of measures to prevent and detect signs of battery failure and the introduction of new technologies, design and multiple monitoring systems to ensure safety and security in case of an emergency
- Thorough production process that eliminates contamination, which is a cause of abnormal heating
- Mulitple monitoring of battery voltage, current, and temperature detects signs of abnormal heat generation and prevents overheating
- Newly introduced use of a high-resistance coolant, which prevents fire from short circuits even if leakage of the battery's liquid coolant occurs
- Newly introduced use of a high-capacity battery pack integrated with the body to ensure protection in the event of a collision
- External power supply function
DC external power supply function (Japan specifications)
- Able to connect to a power feeder to supply high-output electricity to homes and home appliances for outdoor activities, and during disasters and other emergencies
- When used with a home solar power source, solar power can supply electricity to the house in the daytime, allowing surplus electricity to recharge the vehicle via a power feeder, and electricity stored in the vehicle to be used to power the home at night
- With the aim of eliminating customer concerns and contributing to the achievement of CN, all vehicles will be leased.
The bZ4X was designed to perform as a BEV capable of extended use with peace of mind, including the preservation of battery capacity. In Japan, all vehicles will be available through lease to eliminate customer concerns regarding battery performance, maintenance, and residual value. Also to contribute to the achievement of CN, battery management will be implemented for all vehicles by using batteries without waste through the 3Rs (Rebuild, Reuse, Recycle). Under lease, Toyota will manage all batteries and guarantee battery performance during the lease term.
- Provisions for individual customers through the KINTO subscription service
KINTO is a subscription service where various vehicle expenses are included in monthly fees as part of the leasing process. By staying connected with customers, KINTO continuously provides added value even after vehicles are delivered to customers, including updates to the latest functions and mobility experience offers. Toyota has prepared an exclusive plan for the bZ4X based on these initiatives to enable customers to enjoy BEVs for extended periods with peace of mind by eliminating concerns regarding battery performance and trade-in value.
bZ4X Exclusive Plan
This plan allows customers to use the bZ4X lease plan for a maximum of 10 years.
- Battery performance is guaranteed during the term of the lease (10 years or 200,000 km; 70% battery capacity).
- Starting the fifth year of the 10-year term, monthly fees decrease in stages every year. The longer the vehicles are used, the more reasonable the price becomes, and there are no early cancellation fees from the fifth year onwards, supporting flexible car usage formats for customers.
- Lease agreement can be completed online.
- Monthly fees include the following expenses (payment of the designated application fee is required at the time of execution of the lease agreement; also, subsidies are included in the monthly fees separately).
- Automobile insurance, vehicle taxes, maintenance charges, etc.
- Fees relating to safety and security connected services (basic T-Connect services, connected navigation, digital keys, and connected car care for providing peace of mind to customers regarding vehicle condition monitoring)
Toyota plans to announce the details of the monthly fees and the application fee at the time of execution of the lease agreement on May 2, prior to the launch. (Details of the exclusive plan can be found here: https://toyota.jp/bz4x/contract/)
- In addition, Toyota will continue to improve the bZ4X even after vehicle delivery to customers by equipping vehicles with the latest safety equipment, etc. when they become available through KINTO FACTORY, a service that reflects real time updated software and hardware functions and items in line with technological innovations and time-related deterioration.
Grade and Packages for the KINTO
Customers can select among packages that group popular options such as the driveline and interior and exterior colors.
|Package||Interior Color||Exterior Color||Package Details (bZ4X with standard features is the base)|
FWD / 4WD
& standard roof
|Light gray / Black||Selection from 11 colors||18-inch tires, standard roof, wireless charger for smartphones and other devices, floor mats|
& panoramic view moonroof
|18-inch tires, panoramic view moonroof, wireless charger for smartphones and other devices, floor mats|
& standard roof
|20-inch tires, standard roof, wireless charger for smartphones and other devices, floor mats|
& panoramic view moonroof
|20-inch tires, panoramic view moonroof, wireless charger for smartphones and other devices, floor mats|
Lease Process of the KINTO
After selecting the desired package and other options, customers can apply online or via a dealer. Following the designated screening, the agreement can commence.
Details can be found herehttps://toyota.jp/bz4x/
|bZ4X (FWD)||bZ4X (4WD)|
|Vehicle weight and performance||Vehicle weight||kg||1,920||2,010|
|Gross vehicle weight||kg||2,195||2,285|
|Minimum turning radius||m||5.6|
|AC electric power consumption rate (WLTC, As evaluated by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism)||Wh/km||128||134|
|Cruising range per charge (WLTC, As evaluated by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism)||km||559||540|
|Minimum Under Clearance*||mm||180|
|Cabin height*||mm||1,160 (Normal / Solar roof)
1,145 (Panoramic view moonroof)
|Driving Equipment||Steering||Rack Assist Type Electric Power Steering (EPS)|
|Suspension (Front / Rear)||Strut-type coil spring / Double wishbone-type coil spring|
|Brakes (Front / Rear)
|Ventilated disc / Ventilated disc
Cooperative hydraulic and regenerative braking
|Motor||Type||AC synchronous motor|
|Maximum output (front motor)||kW||150||80|
|Maximum torque (front motor)||N･m||266||169|
|Maximum output (rear motor)||kW||―||80|
|Maximum torque (rear motor)||N･m||―||169|
|Maximum output (system)||kW||150||160|
|Maximum torque (system)||N･m||266||337|
|Main Power Battery||Type||Lithium-ion Battery|
|Battery voltage per cell||V||3.7|
|Battery cell number||96|
|Charging Performance||AC charger maximum output||kW||6.6|
|DC charging maximum output||kW||Max 150|
|Driving performance||Acceleration performance (0-100 km/h)*||seconds||7.5||6.9|
Link to the "bZ4X" webpage (Japanese only)
Toyota Motor Corporation works to develop and manufacture innovative, safe and high-quality products and services that create happiness by providing mobility for all. We believe that true achievement comes from supporting our customers, partners, employees, and the communities in which we operate. Since our founding over 80 years ago in 1937, we have applied our Guiding Principles in pursuit of a safer, greener and more inclusive society. Today, as we transform into a mobility company developing connected, automated, shared and electrified technologies, we also remain true to our Guiding Principles and many of the United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals to help realize an ever-better world, where everyone is free to move.
- SDGs Initiatives