Tokyo―TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION (TMC) announced today that it has begun nationwide sales in Japan of the completely redesigned Estima minivan through "Toyota" ("Osaka Toyopet" in the Osaka area) and "Toyota Corolla" dealers.
The Estima, first launched in 1990, pioneered the concept of a "stylish and luxurious" minivan, and has been representative of Toyota's market-leading line of minivans.
- The Estima "G"
seven-seat vehicle, with options)
- The Estima "Aeras" "S Package"
Developed under a concept of "total innovation and refinement", the new Estima, while remaining stylish and luxurious, is a next-generation minivan with advanced exterior styling, an interior with a feeling of openness, greater functionality and driving performance aimed at providing a smooth ride, regardless of road conditions.
|Sales channels||"Toyota" ("Osaka Toyopet" in the Osaka area) and "Toyota Corolla" dealers nationwide in Japan|
|Monthly sales targets in Japan||7,000 units|
|Dealer launch events||January 21 and 22, 2006|
Fujimatsu Plant, Toyota Auto Body Co., Ltd.
Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Prices
(including consumption tax)
|"Welcab Side Lift-up Seat model"*2||7||2,850,000|
|"Welcab Side Lift-up Seat model"*2||3,030,000|
|"Welcab Side Lift-up Seat model"*2||3,210,000|
|8||6 Super ECT||3,213,000|
|"Welcab Side Lift-up Seat model"*2||3,370,000|
|"Welcab Side Lift-up Seat model"*2||3,550,000|
*1Prices listed do not include recycling fees.
*2Not subject to consumption tax.
*3Four-wheel-drive vehicles cost an additional 210,000 yen.
- Based on the Toyota-brand design philosophy "Vibrant Clarity," the Estima pursues a lively and well-structured shape to achieve a more-advanced one-motion form.
- The front features a sharp, deeply sculpted structure around the headlights and dynamic character lines that express the individuality of the Estima. The Estima "Aeras", in particular, has exclusive aerodynamic bumpers and other features that emphasize the vehicle's sporty character.
- All of the pillars are "blacked out" so the roof seems to float in the air, creating a futuristic side silhouette.
- The entire package has been updated through a wheelbase increased by 50mm, with the front overhang only 5mm longer and rear overhang 40mm shorter, so that the wheels are as close to the four corners of the vehicle as possible. In addition, the height has been decreased by 40mm to create a lower center of gravity.
Open and Functional Interior and Equipment
- With a form that provides an open feel and an emphasis on texture of the interior colors and materials, the vehicle pursues an open and comfortable interior.
- The seven-seat vehicle features second-row seats with a long sliding range of 800mm and built-in leg rests, providing passengers with a highly relaxing space in which they can stretch their legs. The third-row seats can be folded into the floor.
- The eight-seat vehicle features second-row seats that tip up and third-row seats that fold into the floor to create a large and flat cargo space.
- The HDD (hard disc drive) navigation system, with a wide, eight-inch liquid crystal display, features a sound library that can hold up to 2,000 songs and is compatible with the G-BOOK ALPHA telematics service for the access of detailed information.
- A "Panoramic Super-live Sound System" features speakers with a new structure that uses the roof panel as a diaphragm, producing a dramatic expansion of the sound field.
- A new, wide-view front monitor with a 190-degree field of view simultaneously displays the ground in front of the vehicle and left and right frontal areas. Also, a new side monitor displays views on the left side of the vehicle to aid in eliminating blind spots.
- An Intelligent Parking Assist system automatically steers the vehicle when backing into a garage or during parallel parking. Also, a Lane-keeping Assist system corrects the driver's steering to keep the vehicle within its own lane, thereby lessening the driving burden on the driver. This is the first time either of these systems has been used on a minivan.
Dynamic Performance for a Smooth Ride
- Newly available on the Estima is a high-performance, V6 3.5-liter 2GR-FE engine, which, combined with the newly developed 6 Super ECT Sequential Shiftmatic automatic transmission, provides smooth, quiet and powerful acceleration performance.
- The improved-output, 2.4-liter, four-cylinder 2AZ-FE engine employs a Super CVT-i transmission (with seven-speed Sports Sequential Shiftmatic) to eliminate shift shock and provide the feeling of pleasure associated with manual transmissions.
- Vehicles fitted with the 3.5-liter V6 engine feature S-VSC (Steering-assisted Vehicle Stability Control) to enhance vehicle stability, another first in a minivan.
|2GR-FE||3,456||206 (280)/6,200||344 (35.1)/4,700||Front-wheel drive||9.8|
|2AZ-FE||2,362||125 (170)/6,000||224 (22.8)/4,000||Front-wheel drive||12.4*2|
*1Under the 10-15 Japanese test cycle, as certified by Japan's Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport
*2When vehicle weight is 1,770 kg or more, fuel consumption is 11.8 km/l.
- A new platform was developed to provide smooth driving, which features MacPherson struts in the front and a torsion beam in the rear. New shock absorbers with excellent responsiveness are combined in a body with higher torsional rigidity to provide maneuverability and cruising stability at the top levels of the minivan class―providing a comfortable ride as well.
Class-leading Safety and Environmental Performance*1
- The new Estima adopts an advanced GOA (Global Outstanding Assessment) collision-safety body that has been further evolved by incorporating the concept of omni-directional compatibility.
- New impact-absorbing structures have been adopted for the hood, fenders and cowl to reduce injury to pedestrians.
- The new Estima pursues enhanced safety performance by adopting advanced safety equipment, including the Pre-crash Safety System (a radar-based system), newly developed SRS (Supplemental Restraint System) curtain shield airbags that cover from the front-row seats to the third-row seats, SRS knee airbags and SRS side airbags.
- Eco-VAS (Eco-Vehicle Assessment System)―Toyota's original comprehensive environmental impact assessment system―was implemented to achieve, as efficiently as possible, the overall reduction of environmental impact, from initial development to disposal, throughout the vehicle's entire lifecycle. LCA (Life-cycle Assessment) was also carried out, aiming to reduce CO2 emissions and other atmospheric pollutants, not only during the use stage, but also during the vehicle's entire lifecycle, from manufacture through to disposal.
- The new Estima is very environmentally considerate, using materials with excellent recyclability, and features reduced VOC (volatile organic compounds) emissions, and reduced use of substances of concern, including lead, mercury and cadmium.
- All vehicles in the series achieve emission levels 75% lower than the 2005 standards under the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport's Approval System for Low-emission Vehicles and boast fuel efficiency that exceeds by 5% the level called for by the Japanese 2010 fuel efficiency standards*2, thus qualifying for incentives under the Japanese government's Green Taxation System.
*1In comparison with vehicles of similar engine displacement
*2Specified by the Japanese Law Concerning the Rational Use of Energy
Welcabs: Specially equipped vehicles with factory-installed features for disabled people
- On the Side Lift-up Seat model (detachable type), a seat from the second-row can be pulled out of the vehicle and used as a wheelchair, providing enhanced comfort compared to conventional wheelchairs and alleviating fatigue when riding in the vehicle for extended periods.
- Depending on the users needs, the pull-out seat from the second row can be fitted as any one of the following three types of wheelchairs when purchasing: a manual caregiver-assisted type that is operated manually by the caregiver; an electric caregiver-assisted type that operates electrically to reduce caregiver burden; and an electric self-operating type that a disabled person can operate on their own using a joystick.
- The Lift-up Font Passenger Seat model has a seat that slides down outside the vehicle to facilitate boarding and exiting and can be operated using a wireless remote control (which comes standard) to enhance usability. In addition, a new "Type B" with an electric wheelchair loading device is also available.
Welcab Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Prices
|Model type||Trim Level||Engine||Seating||Powertrain||Transmission||Price*1
(Not subject to consumption tax)
|Welcab Side Lift-up Seat model
"Manual caregiver-assisted type"*2
|6 Super ECT||3,650,000|
|Welcab Lift-up Front Passenger Seat model
|2GR-FE||6 Super ECT||3,350,000|
|Welcab Lift-up Front Passenger Seat model
|2GR-FE||6 Super ECT||3,420,000|
*1Prices listed do not include recycling fees.
*2An electric, caregiver-assisted type costs an additional 400,000 yen; an electric, self-operating type an additional 460,000 yen.
*3Four-wheel-drive vehicles cost an additional 200,000 yen.