- Less than four meters long, the Raize is a small passenger car*1 that features the powerful style of an SUV
- Class-leading*2 luggage capacity and interior space, and numerous convenient storage solutions
- New platform achieves outstanding basic performance
- Equipped with an array of advanced functions, including safety technologies such as Adaptive Cruise Control with All Speed Tracking*3 and the Smart Panorama Parking Assist system, and an audio display system
Toyota City, Japan, November 5, 2019―Toyota Motor Corporation (Toyota) announces that it commenced sales of the new "Raize"*4 at Toyota dealers nationwide on November 5.
- Z (2WD) (options shown)
The new Raize is a compact SUV small passenger car that measures less than four meters in length. It caters to the desires of customers who want to drive an SUV, who want to load their cars with a lot of luggage, but who also wish to have a car that is compact and easy to drive. The car was developed to be "active, useful*5, and compact." Easy to use both for leisure on weekends and for everyday use, the Raize provides daily support for customers in a variety of active scenarios.
The new Raize is the first compact car produced by Daihatsu Motor Co., Ltd. (Daihatsu) to incorporate its next-generation car making platform, DNGA*6, which anticipates product development for both Toyota and Daihatsu brands. All aspects of the car―including its platform and powertrain unit―have been newly developed, with the goal of realizing outstanding levels of driving performance, luxury, safety, and peace of mind.
The new Raize features a compact body just 3,995 millimeters long and 1,695 millimeters wide. It is equipped with impressively large 17-inch tires*7 and protruding fenders, which provide the sense of power and stability unique to SUVs.
The compact SUV boasts a class-leading 369-liter*8 luggage capacity; the rear seats can also be folded to further increase the cargo space available, enabling particularly large or long items of luggage to be loaded. In addition, there are storage solutions located throughout the cabin, resulting in a highly convenient interior space.
As for driving performance, the Raize's newly developed light-weight, highly rigid body and suspension contribute to outstanding handling stability and ride comfort. By combining a 1.0-liter turbo engine with D-CVT―used in a Toyota vehicle for the first time*9―the car achieves the torque and driving joy of a 1.5-liter engine, as well as outstanding fuel efficiency. D-CVT*10 adds split gears to existing CVT belt drives and uses both belt and gear drives at high speeds for improved transmission efficiency. The gear-ratio range has also been expanded to provide powerful and smooth acceleration at low speeds and fuel-efficient and quiet performance at high speeds. The Raize comes equipped with the latest Smart Assist*11 safety features, including the Crash Avoidance Braking Function, which is capable of detecting both vehicles and pedestrians, and the Erroneous Start Prevention Function with braking control (forward and backward) *12.
The new Raize will be added to Toyota's KINTO ONE beloved-car subscription service*13, which proposes a new user-car relationship, from November 12*14. With a desire to provide young people with as many opportunities as possible to enjoy a new car, the KINTO ONE monthly subscription rate for the new Raize is to start at 39,820 yen (including taxes), which will cover the price of the vehicle as well as necessary expenses such as voluntary insurance beyond the basic mandatory insurance.
|Small passenger cars are defined as having a maximum length of 4,700 millimeters, a maximum width of 1,700 millimeters, a maximum height of 2,000 millimeters, and a maximum engine displacement of 2,000 cc.
|When compared to other cars in the compact SUV class. As of November 2019, according to Toyota Motor Corporation.
|There is no vehicle-hold function; vehicle-hold will be cancelled approximately two seconds after stopping, so brakes must be applied manually.
|"Raize" is a name based on a combination of the words "rise" and "raise." It signifies an active car that energizes everyday life.
|"Useful" as pronounced in Japanese is a play on the two words "useful" and "youthful".
|Equipped as standard to the Z grade. G, X "S," and X grades are equipped with 16-inch tires.
|According to measurements taken by Toyota Motor Corporation based on the VDA-method, when the deck board is in the low position; luggage capacity is 303 liters when the deck board is in the high position.
|As of November 2019 according to Toyota Motor Corporation.
|D-CVT is a trademark of Daihatsu Motor Co., Ltd. D-CVT: Dual mode Continuously Variable Transmission
|Smart Assist is a registered trademark of Daihatsu Motor Co., Ltd.
|Equipped as standard to Z, G, and X "S" grades
|A monthly fixed-sum service that provides voluntary insurance payments, vehicle tax, registration charges, breakdown repair, and regularly scheduled maintenance of the vehicle in a single package. https://kinto-jp.com/english/
|The Noah, Voxy, Sienta, C-HR, and Esquire will also be added to the KINTO ONE line-up on the same day.
- Sales outlets
- Toyota, Toyopet, Toyota Corolla, and Netz dealers across Japan, and Toyota Mobility Tokyo Inc.
- Monthly sales target for Japan
- 4,100 units
- Unveiling event at dealers
- Saturday, November 16 and Sunday, November 17
Shiga (Ryuo) Plant, Daihatsu Motor Co., Ltd.
Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Prices
|1.0 liter turbo (1KR-VET)
[Continuously variable transmission]
|Includes consumption tax; does not include recycling fees. Different pricing applies for Hokkaido and Okinawa.
- Combining the powerful style of an SUV with the form factor of a small passenger car
A design based on the concepts of "Powerful!" "New!" and "Active Style"
- The Raize is 3,995 millimeters long and 1,695 millimeters wide. Despite its compact size, the car achieves the dignified and robust appearance typical of SUVs thanks to its large 17-inch tires and protruding fenders.
- Its angular bumper corners and trapezoid lower grille create a powerful and wide frontal appearance, while the use of thin LED headlights and sequential turn lights that appear to flow from the inside to the outside of the car hint at the car's advanced technologies.
- A total of eight body colors are available, including the newly developed Turquoise Blue Mica Metallic, which emphasizes the active nature of the Raize. The car is also available in two-tone combinations of three body colors―including Turquoise Blue Mica Metallic―with a Black Mica Metallic roof*15, providing customers with a wide choice of color schemes.
- The Raize's instrument panel has been designed to ensure an outstanding field of view from the driver's seat; the operational elements of the instrument panel face the driver's side, while the gear lever has been positioned so that it can be easily operated by a simple extension of the left hand. In this way, the car realizes a driving space that allows the driver to concentrate fully on the road.
- On the front seats, the angles of the side-support sections have been raised, while the back rest and side pads have been designed with differing levels of firmness. This new seat shape improves the feeling of support for occupants.
- The car also features plating and red accents in various locations to create a sense of luxury and playfulness.
- The LED digital speedometer and seven-inch TFT color LCD display are seamlessly integrated, appearing to create a single screen with a cutting-edge feel. The customer can choose between four display styles: Advanced, Exciting, Simple, and Analog.
- The seven-inch TFT color LCD display in the Advanced display mode
- Class-leading luggage capacity and interior space, and numerous convenient storage solutions
Luggage compartment and interior space
- The Raize's compact body contains a spacious luggage compartment 1,000 millimeters in width, 865 millimeters in height*16, and 755 millimeters in length, with a movable deck board for improved convenience. When the deck board is in the low position, the car boasts class-leading luggage capacity for a compact SUV of 369 liters; when the deck board is in the high position, the rear seats can be collapsed forward to create a long, flat space capable of storing long items of luggage. The deck board can also be removed to load houseplants and other tall items, and so caters to a wide variety of customer needs.
- The distance between the front and rear seats is a generous 900 millimeters, providing plenty of space for a comfortable rear-seat riding experience.
A variety of convenient storage solutions
Convenient storage solutions are located throughout the cabin, resulting in a practical interior space.
- A new platform leads to outstanding basic performance
Optimization of the Raize's frame shape and the use of strong, light-weight high-tensile steel plates in the appropriate locations result in a highly rigid body, and contribute to stable vehicle behavior despite the car's height.
MacPherson struts have been used for the front suspension, while torsion beams have been used for the rear. The suspension has been redeveloped from scratch, with optimized part shapes, reduced weight, and updated part positions and angles. It provides a stable ride with minimal roll, and quickly neutralizes any vibrations or impacts from the road surface.
- The Raize combines a 1.0-liter 1KR-VET turbo engine with a D-CVT that incorporates a split gear―used in a Toyota vehicle for the first time―to realize the joy of driving and outstanding fuel efficiency. The powertrain provides the torque of a 1.5-liter-class engine at a variety of engine speeds, from low speeds upwards, which results in powerful acceleration. With regard to fuel efficiency, the 2WD models achieve 18.6 kilometers per liter in WLTC test cycles*17, while the 4WD models achieve 17.4 kilometers per liter.
- D-CVT adds split gears to existing CVT belt drives, and uses both belt and gear drives at high speeds for improved transmission efficiency. The gear-ratio range has also been expanded to provide powerful and smooth acceleration at low speeds, and fuel-efficient and quiet performance at high speeds.
- The 4WD models are equipped with Dynamic Torque Control 4WD. When accelerating from a start or when driving on slippery road surfaces, this function distributes torque in an optimal manner to rear wheels according to vehicle conditions.
- An array of advanced functions, including safety technologies such as Adaptive Cruise Control with All Speed Tracking and the Smart Panorama Parking Assist system, and an audio display system
Next-generation Smart Assist provides customers with peace of mind and support for comfortable driving
- Adaptive Cruise Control with All Speed Tracking provides support when following a preceding vehicle.
- The Smart Panorama Parking Assist system provides voice and image guidance as well as steering assistance when parking.
- The Collision Warning Function and Crash Avoidance Braking Function are capable of detecting both pedestrians and vehicles.
- The Erroneous Start Prevention Function with braking control (forward and backward) helps to reduce crash damage when the accelerator is mistakenly engaged instead of the brake when parking.
The Raize is equipped with a smartphone-linkable nine-inch audio display*18. The display enables the use of apps that cater to SmartDeviceLinkTM*19 and Apple CarPlay*20, so expanding the range of choices available to the customer.
|Two-tone color schemes are optional on the Z grade.
|According to measurements taken by Toyota Motor Corporation, the luggage space has a height of 865 millimeters when the deck board is in the low position; when the deck board is in the high position, the luggage space has a height of 740 millimeters.
|As evaluated by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism. WLTC (World Harmonized Light Vehicles Test Cycle) is an internationally recognized test cycle, and is based on average usage ratios for urban, suburban, and highway driving.
|Available as an option on all grades.
|SmartDeviceLinkTM is a trademark or registered trademark of the SmartDeviceLink Consortium. By connecting to customer smartphones via Bluetooth® (a trademark of Bluetooth SIG, Inc.), SmartDeviceLinkTM enables navigation apps such as the free-of-charge navigation app LINE CarNavi―which is a collaboration between the SmartDeviceLink Consortium and LINE Corporation―to be used on the audio display. Going forward, a variety of apps will become available to use on the audio display, although some apps will require a USB connection.
|Apple CarPlay is a trademark of Apple Inc., and has been registered in the U.S. and other countries.
- Link to the "Raize" webpage (Japanese only)